I had a friend ask me a question the other day that made do a little thinking. I am one of those people who LOVES to get up early in the morning and get my workout in. Now, I haven’t always been that way. If you would have told me 3 years ago that I would be getting up at 4:30AM to go to the gym, I probably would have laughed hard enough to pee my pants or at least give you a really good snort. And here I am today looking forward to my butt-crack of dawn workouts. Okay – Back to my friend and her query. She asked me WHY I get up that early to workout. (It was said with an undertone of “you are freaking crazy”, by the way) but it made me start to pen a mental list of the motive behind my madness. In all honesty, it’s not the 4:30am hour that I was pondering. She could have asked my why I get up at 7:00am to workout. I was actually thinking about the driving factor that motivates each of us to act and adopt a healthier life. What gets any of us out of bed each morning? What motivates us to eat healthy or get rid of bad habits? Here’s my list of what keeps me heading to the gym (at any hour) and living a healthy life-style, and I want to hear what keeps YOU motivated, too!
1. The Minions – Last week I was getting ready to teach my 5:30am Spin class when 2 men were overheard having a conversation. It went something like this…Guy one: “Man, class is crowded on Wednesdays.” Guy two: “Ya, Trish’s minions come out in full force.” That made my day because it is those Minions that give me reason to get up so early. They just make my classes so enjoyable and I just love them all! Again, more on the minions later.
2. Da Boys – it’s not what you are thinking. There are a group of about 5 – 7 of us who show up every morning at 4:55am at the gym. We are all there. Bottom line. End of story. But if someone is missing, we all wonder. We don’t really even talk that much because we are all doing our own thing, but we are there and the friendship is there. I’ll post more about them later.
3. The Kiddos – need I say more? I want to be healthy to run around with them and chase them. There will come a day when I am not the cool mom (note to self, that day is here….), but I’ll be right there with them with a full tank of energy!
4. Endorphins – it’s my drug of choice. I need them everyday or I am onry.
5. Sanity – please refer to #4.
6. Health – I’ve been blessed so far in life to not have any major illnesses. I am fully aware that very healthy individuals get horrible diseases, but if I can defend myself against some of them, you better believe I am all over that one.
7. ME – I like to take care of me and my body. If I honor my body, it will honor me and function as I need it to. And I need it to function at full capacity – I’ve got a lot to do in this life!
So, what gets you out of bed each day and keeps you motivated? Share, please. Someone out there needs to hear your ideas!