Due to the nature of my profession, I get asked a certain question quite often. It is a question that I immediately know the answer to. I don’t even have to think about it. It just comes naturally out of my mouth because I live it and it is part of me….or so I thought until a couple of weeks ago.
I often get asked, “Do you ever get tired of exercising and NOT want to?”
My answer is always, “No. I love to exercise. I love the adrenaline rush. I love the endorphin release. I love to exercise and teach others to love movement and their bodies and what they are capable of.”
Until a couple of weeks ago, this was my answer. Always. Then I got up one morning and actually said, “I don’t want to go to exercise today.” Blasphemy! I seriously could not believe those words had escaped my lips. Now, you might be thinking, big deal…that’s normal. Yes, it is, but this was new to me. I did what any sane group fitness instructor would do…I got right in the car and drove to the gym to kick my own butt and think long and hard about why I was burned out. Because reality was…I was burned out.
Burned out. In a rut. How did I get there? I was just plain tired of doing the same exercises, the same cardio, the same regimen….it was time to mix it up! Here are a couple of ideas of what I have incorporated to mix up my workout schedule and ideas I am planning on incorporating or at least testing out for a change. See if any resonate with you and join me!
1. TRX: I have already sung praises to TRX and started using my system daily. I don’t think I can say this enough. I. Love. TRX. I honestly believe every person should own one of these systems because it doesn’t matter what age, gender or weight you are – you can do TRX.
love it even more by the pool
2. Running: Many of you know I love to run, but I am always indoors on a treadmill. So, I recently took my run outside. And despite my fear that a wild desert animal is going to jump out and devour me, I am in love my early morning runs.
3. Zumba: I have tried Zumba several times, and although I appear to have been tasered instead of dancing, it still remains an awesome workout. This one deserves a try if you haven’t already.
4. Kranking: This one is new to me and may be new to you, also. Real Life Fitness and Health recently got these amazing machines, and I am thrilled to get to know them better. I’ll keep you updated on what I learn and experience. So far I know one thing….kick butt workout for your upper body!
5. Yoga: I don’t do enough of this. Okay, I don’t do any of this, but I am well aware of the benefits of this intense workout. I need/want to do more.
6. Stretching: Do you ever take the time to REALLY stretch out after a hard workout? Me either. But I want to. Another one I need to work on.
7. Group Fitness Classes: This one seems a little odd coming from a group fitness instructor herself, but I am so used to TEACHING the class and not enjoying the benefits of actually participating in someone else’s class. I have been doing more of this lately and have been reminded of how much I love teaching and to be taught. Hit up a Group X class at your gym if its been awhile.
I must say, two weeks after the forbidden words slipped out of my mouth, I am feeling rejuvenated with a new schedule and fresh exercises. Join me, won’t you?!