I know, I know, sounds bratty and selfish to want to talk about myself, but when I say let’s talk about “ME”, I am really saying, let’s talk about “YOU”. And me. Okay, you and me. Or me and you. Whatever. Let’s just talk.
So….there’s been some change over here at the Allen house the last few weeks. It involved a move. And a lot of boxes. And kids going back to school. And a jacked up routine. For those of you who know me, know that I LOVE routines. I thrive on routines. I have to have routine. And when it gets out of whack, well, Trish gets out of whack, too. Does that happen to anyone else? (this is where the YOU part comes in, so say yes….)
Over the past couple of weeks, I have come to realize (yet again) that when change and stress come into play, I have to keep my routine to keep my sanity. But in so doing, it makes this post sound a bit selfish. I am not in any way shape or form implying that family and responsibility should be abandoned. What I am saying, and have been saying for years (I just need a reminder sometimes), is that if you take care of YOU (or ME) first, then you are better capable to take care of others. For us moms, school is starting and we try to convince ourselves that “things will be better once the kids start school…” Who are we kidding? Things get more chaotic and crazy. And what does that lead to? That’s right. Change, stress, and no routine = unhappy me. I mean you.
Here are a few things that I may or may not have done to help retain some of my sanity and routine over the past couple of weeks. I’m sure you have more, so add to the list.
– A plan…sometimes this plan fails, but I do much, much better if I think ahead and follow a well thought out plan. (the following ideas all fall into the plan.) At times we don’t have the luxury to plan ahead when change, occurs, but when we can, do it!
– Eat well…nothing says ornery like a mama who hasn’t eaten all day or a mama who is living on sugar and feels her pants tighten every day. It’s all about making smarter choices on what goes in the mama motor. Have healthy choices around the house or make choices you won’t regret when you hit the restaurants.
– Exercise…nothing says ornery PLUS like a mama minus a daily workout. There have been nights when the workout just didn’t happen that day, but I wished I would have at least went on a short walk. Any movement to release those endorphins would have counted!
– Get ready…I will be the first to admit that days go by without me taking a shower. Gross, I know. But it happens. (in fact, I sit here typing in all my mama grunginess…) I don’t mean get all dolled up every single day (although, you are more than welcome to). I just know I feel a ton better if I at least feel good about myself. A little mascara, a little lipgloss, clean clothes…whatever makes you feel more put together.
– Be clean…a semi-clean house. Need I say more?
– Plan a date…my sanity deserves some time conversing with another adult. My first choice would be my hubby. Get out on a date or at least some time with girlfriends. We all need a break. And deny it or not, so do our kids.
Take home from this little rant…don’t neglect yourself when change, stress, trauma or drama rears its ugly head. And it’s ugly head will rear whether we want it to or not. Use some of these tips to keep your sanity and routine in tact. You and your family will thank me for it and you’ll be a happy(ier) mama!